Share on facebook

Your Comments

KTLC is brilliant. Thanks for all your hard work.
Tatilde (Feedback Box)

KTLN on Facebook

KTLN Statistics

We have 456 guests and
43 members online (499),
289 members visted today.

Most users online
Friday 26th January 2018 11:41am
Guests:13567 Members:126 (13693)

Daily Usage
Wednesday 17th May 2017
Most Members in a Day:422

KTLN Membership
New Members in last 30 Days: 64
Total Members:11311


Knowledge Bank » Transport » Car & Scooter Hire

Car & Scooter Hire PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 26 March 2009
2.5/5 (39 votes)

Kalkan has several car and scooter hire companies.  Please see the KTLN Business Directory for details of car hire companies. 

You can also check out our interactive Kalkan Business Map, which tells you where the car hire companies can be found.  The map can be accessed through our Main Menu.

Where are the best deals
KTLN never recommends one business, in preference to another.  There is a very good reason for that.  No single company consistently provides the best deals - whatever anyone may tell you.

Our advice is to shop around, and to negotiate on price.  Ask about package deals - for example if you get the same company to do your airport transfer as well as your car hire, they may provide a discount.

Check on details such as insurance, and find out what (if anything) you have to pay for tyre and windscreen damage.  What excess will you pay in the event of an accident?  

Out of season, car hire companies are keen to generate income from their moslty dormant fleet of cars, and you should be able to negotiate a much better price, then you would get in season.

What type of driving licence do you need?
You will need your driving licence - they usually accept your UK plastic photocard licence, but it's probably a good idea to bring the paper licence too.  If you only have a provisional licence it will not be accepted by car hire firms.

To ride a scooter with an engine over 50cc you need to have passed your motorbike test.  The vehicle categories used on your UK licence are broadly the same as the categories used in Turkey.  In the UK when you pass your CBT you get an A1 licence (similar to A1 in Turkey).  When you pass your full bike test in the UK you get an A licence (similar to A2 in Turkey). 

If the reverse of your UK photocard license shows you can legally ride a motorbike (class A) in the UK you can ride one in Turkey.  If it says A1, in Turkey you can ride a moped up to 50cc, which is basically about as powerful as a big lawnmower and won't get you far in Kalkan with all those hills. 

If the back of your licence does not show A1 or A (but if you drive a car presumably it will show class B), you cannot legally ride any kind of scooter or motorbike in Turkey.  And if anyone tells you that they have been stopped by the traffic police on a 125cc scooter without having a class A licence, you can tell them it was their lucky day.  Anecdotal stories like that are not hard to find.  If you are involved in an accident, your insurance company will not be so understanding.

Speed Limits
If you are hiring a vehicle they may not mention the different speed limits applying to different types of vehicle.  If in doubt about the vehicle you are hiring ask your hire company which speed limit applies.

Also see our article called Driving in Turkey - rules of the road.  This is in the Knowledge Bank/Transport section.

Last Updated on Friday, 09 January 2015